ZocdocAnswersMy hands shake all the time painlessly. Do I have a problem?

Question

My hands shake all the time painlessly. Do I have a problem?

It doesn't hurt when my hands shake . It's more just my right hand. I have talked about it to my mom to see if my grandparents had it... Like it runs in the family but nothing came up.im scared it might effect my life hugely and I'm not even old yet.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from the anxiety of possibly having a medical condition. It is important to realize that there is much more information that needs to be gathered before you have cause for alarm. There are many potential causes of shaking hands, some as simple as caffeine intake. While you are right that some of the problems can run in families, it is necessary to gather all of the information before you rush to conclusions and become concerned. Speaking with your doctor in person can help to identify what might be causing your trembling hands, and he or she may make some recommendations or do further testing if they feel that it is indicated. Also, he or she may help you to feel better about your concerns by helping to clarify how bad the shaking really is. He or she may ask some questions about your handwriting, your speech, or other evidence that other muscle groups are affected. He or she may refer you to a neurologist for further evaluation, if that is felt to be appropriate. Again, please speak with your doctor to determine a course of action and find an answer to your questions.