ZocdocAnswersDo I have Gout?

Question

Do I have Gout?

I have all the symptoms of Gout and told I am too young cause I am 34. Both feet toes are swollen. Great toes and joints are in horrendous pain. I can barely walk. Inside of foot hurts when I bend toes. I am distraught. I don't know what to do. I only ingested 200 mg of sodium today.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering such intense pain, and that this has been going on for some period of time. The key point is that, when suffering so much pain, speaking to a doctor is important. The pain is your body's way of telling you to seek medical assistance, to slow down, or to changes something else to help it to recover. While you do have some symptoms that could be consistent with gout, it is impossible to tell for sure without more information. Unfortunately, 34 is not too young to have gout, as it is more based on your diet and genetic make up. High protein diets, especially when mixed with alcohol, predispose people to having gout. While it is good to control your sodium, this is less likely to have an impact on your symptoms if it truly is because of gout. Instead, speaking to your doctor to begin medications early on, change your diet as needed, and make other steps to improve your well being will most help your chances to feel better faster. Please speak with your doctor as soon as possible to help get your symptoms under control and determine what the cause may be.