ZocdocAnswersWhy would a doctor make the penis hole bigger for bed wetting problem?

Question

Why would a doctor make the penis hole bigger for bed wetting problem?

from what i remember he said maybe i wasn't getting all my urine out and to me that don't make sense for him to cut the hole open a little more to prevent bedwetting

Answer

I can't answer your question definitively with the amount of information you provide, and it is important to discuss this with your urologist. However, I do have a few thoughts. First, sometimes there can be a a narrowing, or stricture, of the urethra, which is the tube through which the urine exits. A stricture is often a condition that a person is born with, but they can also develop later in life as a result of trauma or irritation inside the urethra. The treatment for a symptomatic stricture would be to dilate it surgically reducing the narrowing. Similarly, in middle aged or elderly men the prostate, which is a gland that surrounds the urethra, can often become enlarged and block flow of urine out. This condition, similarly, is often treated by a surgery to widen the urethra. The relationship between these conditions and bed wetting is that if there is a blockage of urine flow, the urine will back up in your bladder until the pressure is high enough that a small amount of it escapes, which will cause "leaking" at unexpected times, such as at night while you are sleeping. I recommend discussing this in a bit more detail with your urologist, who will be able to explain their thinking a bit better and make treatment recommendations.