Should I use creatine?

I'm an 18 year old guy and I've been trying to gain weight since I was 14. I've been working out since then but I'm still a bit skinny and I eat a lot of food but it seems that I'm stuck at this current weight. I was thinking of using creatine to help me gain weight. I've had kidney stones about 3 months ago and I removed them with laser treatment. I'm all good now. But I'm afraid creatine might be harmful for my kidneys. Should I use creatine? If not, what do you suggest I should do to gain weight?
Certainly there can be intense societal pressure for us all to either gain or lose weight. The key for you is to find your optimal weight and maintain that to be as healthy as you can be. While the short-term benefit of gaining weight with supplements may be satisfying, the long-term side effects can outlive the short-term gain. All of these things can be balanced in an appropriate conversation with your doctor. As creatine is a supplement that attempts to add muscle bulk through a product that enters your body, it is likely to have an effect on the filtration ability of your kidneys. As you are still young and have already had a problem with kidney stones, I would be hesitant to advise you that creatine is ok for you. Instead, I firmly believe that you should talk to your doctor about your concerns and determine what the best course of action for you should be. You may also speak with a sports medicine doctor for additional guidance in this regard, as he or she would be able to balance the risks of further medical problems with your desire to bulk up now. Please speak with your doctor about your questions.

Other Sports Medicine Specialists