Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I can't eat, I feel nauseous and achy. What could it be? "

ZocdocAnswersI can't eat, I feel nauseous and achy. What could it be?


It is towards the end of the school year, and I've been stressed out by a bunch of things in various relationships and school settings. Every time I sit down to eat I feel nauseous and can only get a few bites down at a time. Tonight I ate half a bowl of rice and a few small pieces of chicken, and I got these really sharp pangs all through my stomach and diaphragm area. This has gone on for a week or so now, and I am beginning to feel the effects of malnutrition: headaches, weakness, foggy thinking, dizziness, and exhaustion. I don't think I am fat and the significant weight loss worries me.


The conditions and symptoms that you are describing are certainly concerning, and you should speak with your doctor soon to get the best help possible for the symptoms you describe. It sounds as though you have a lot on your plate (figuratively speaking, with no pun intended), and you may need some medical assistance to help maintain your health as you work through these issues. Stress can certainly cause many of the symptoms that you describe, but the severity of the symptoms indicates that you need more help than you have had thus far. Speaking to a friend or family member about your concerns could help you to feel more in control of your situation, but speaking to a doctor is also an important part of maintaining your health. There are many medical conditions that can happen and can cause the symptoms that you describe and can also make your stress seem worse. Even malnutrition itself can cause many of the symptoms that you describe. Please speak to a doctor soon and get appropriate help through the channels that may be available to you so that you can finish your school year successfully and maintain your health in an optimal state of well-being.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.