ZocdocAnswersHow do you know if the carpal tunnel surgery worked?

Question

How do you know if the carpal tunnel surgery worked?

I had carpal tunnel surgery 10 days ago and my hand still goes to sleep, am i using it too much or is it too soon to tell

Answer

This is an important question to discuss with the surgeon who performed the procedure. As you know, carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when swelling and pressure build up around the median nerve, which is a large nerve that runs in the center of the wrist down into the hand. This leads to pain and numbness and tingling in the wrist and hand. The objective of a carpal tunnel surgery procedure is to open up the tight space in the wrist where the median nerve runs, thereby relieving the pressure that is causing the symptoms. However, immediately after the procedure, there is still quite a bit of swelling and inflammation around the nerve, and in fact there may be additional swelling from the procedure itself. It may take several weeks to months for this swelling to subside, and it will be difficult to say with precision whether things are improving for some time still. I would recommend talking with the surgeon who performed the procedure. They will follow you closely to make sure that you are healing well, and they will be able to provide guidance on when they think you might begin to notice some improvement in your symptoms, which will be based in part on how severe your carpal tunnel syndrome was before you had surgery.