ZocdocAnswersSometimes I feel moving and swishing in my testicles. What could this be?

Question

Sometimes I feel moving and swishing in my testicles. What could this be?

I am a 16 year old male

Answer

This must be a rather concerning symptom. It is always a good idea to follow up on any changes in your health with your primary care physician. You should be able to make an appointment with your pediatrician to discuss this further. Your doctor will want to talk with you about what you have noticed, as well as whether or not there have been any other associated symptoms (for example, any testicular pain, abdominal pain, testicular trauma, changes in urination habits etc). It will also be important to review your health history. Most patients your age are not on any regular medications, but if you had any genitourinary health issues as a child, this may be relevant information. Your doctor will also want to do a physical exam to see if the source of your symptoms can be identified. With the symptoms you describe, it sounds like you could be experiencing a varicocele or hydrocele, in which a fluid collection forms within the testes (in some cases, this can be a collection of swollen veins called a varicocele). This is not harmful but it can cause some uncomfortable symptoms such as you have experienced. Seeing a doctor right away is the most important thing you can do to get to the bottom of this. And, if you experience any sudden, severe pain in the area, you should go to the ED right away as this could be a sign of something more serious.