ZocdocAnswersWill testosterone really help me lose weight and make my body shape more manly?

Question

Will testosterone really help me lose weight and make my body shape more manly?

I am a 24 year-old man who is obese my entire life. I am 5 feet 9 inches (175 cm) and 231 pounds (105 kg). I have been trying to shed the fat off my body by doing a lot of cardios and intense trainings occasionally but they are not really working and it seems to that I can never get rid of my man-boobs, belly fat and my hairline is getting worse and worse, I look like 45. I wandered on the internet recently about testosterones and how it could help me lose weight as well as make my body more manly, physically and sexually.

Answer

Testosterone supplementation is not a safe or healthy way to promote weight loss or improve body habitus or sexual performance. However, it sounds like you do have several important health concerns that would be worth discussing with your physician. First of all, you are right that being overweight places you at risk for physical problems as well as dissatisfaction with your appearance. Your doctor can discuss your weight loss plan in more detail and possibly refer you to a nutritionist or dietician who can help you make changes to your diet to increase your chances of successfully losing weight and keeping it off. In addition, given your weight and difficulty with losing weight, it is also important to make sure that you have appropriate health screening for conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure that do increase with increasing weight. Finally, if your weight issue is one that has changed recently or is accompanied by other changes (in hair, skin, energy level etc) then it is possible that you could also have an unrelated endocrine disorder such as hypothyroidism which would be important to correctly identify and treat. All of these things will require a thorough discussion with your doctor about your history, current medications, and current symptoms. Hopefully this will lead to a gradual but sustained weight loss for you, along with an improved self image.