ZocdocAnswersBroken toe - what should I do?

Question

Broken toe - what should I do?

i have a broken proximal phalanx on by little toe I am wearing a post op boot on it to try to help mend it is that ok if not what should I do

Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you have a fracture in your foot--always painful and a bit of a disruption to your day-to-day activities! Whenever you have a fracture injury, the best way to manage your symptoms and make sure this heals properly is to see an orthopedic surgeon and follow his or her instructions with regard to weight-bearing activity or other activity restrictions. It can be very frustrating to be told that you can't (or shouldn't) participate in certain activities while waiting for an injury to heal, but orthopedists are the specialists who care for bones and joints, and their recommendations are the best advice to make sure you heal properly. You state that you have been wearing a walking boot, but you don't say whether this was prescribed for you by a surgeon or whether or not you obtained the boot after surgery? This is not something that you want to diagnose and treat yourself, so if you haven't seen a physician for your injury, the best thing to do is follow up with your primary physician for a referral to an orthopedist right away. He or she can evaluate your foot and your imaging and help you develop a plan to be back to 100% soon!