What do uncontrolled lipids mean?

My doctor's nurse just called and said my blood work stated I have uncontrolled lipids and he want to see me. Only problem is he is booked out for a month. What does that mean to have uncontrolled lipids??
You ask a very good question, and it sounds like your physician is going through health screening tests with you if he is checking your lipid levels. In general, uncontrolled lipids means that one or more of your lipid levels is elevated to what we believe to be a dangerous level with regard to your risk of subsequent cardiovascular disease. When you have a 'lipid panel' measured, the test results help analyze your total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol (so-called 'bad' cholesterol), HDL (so-called 'good' cholesterol), and your triglycerides (another type of lipid molecule). In general the lower the better for total cholesterol, LDL, and triglycerides. In contrast, a high HDL is thought to be associated with better cardiac outcomes. If your doctor's office is telling you that you have uncontrolled lipids, then this likely means that one or more of the lipids that are supposed to be low are instead too high. If your doctor wants to see you in person, then it is likely that he wants to talk to you about dietary ways to lower your cholesterol as well as medications that might also benefit you to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. You should follow up on this right away!

• Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021