ZocdocAnswersI hit my head hard a few days ago but the pressure and the pain is terrible. What could it be?

Question

I hit my head hard a few days ago but the pressure and the pain is terrible. What could it be?

I bashed my head into my brother's while riding the quad, and it hurt on the spot, but I think the adrenaline mostly stopped it. Then I went swimming the next day and while I could usually touch the bottom of the pool, it felt like too much pressure and I had to stop. Went to bed and woke up to the worst pain! I iced it and it feels better when ice is on and not off. My vision feels kind of slow, not as sharp. And the pain kind of subsides when I'm doing something. I hit my head just above the eyebrow, sort of in a spot upper to my temple.

Answer

Please see a doctor immediately! This could certainly be an emergency, as some of these could be signs that you are having some sort of bleeding inside of your head. While it is always impossible to know for sure, there are enough concerning parts of your story that it is important for you to see a doctor shortly. The part of your head where you hit is relevant as there are blood vessels in that area that can become traumatized and lead to bleeds that can cause severe complications and even death. This is a good reminder that this site does not replace the advice of your physician, and you should not delay speaking with a doctor while you wait for an answer from any website or anything, for that matter. If you have concerns, you should speak with a doctor immediately, even if that means calling 911 or going to the emergency room. In your case, please speak with your doctor immediately to make sure that you are not having a serious complication from your trauma.