Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How to remove black spots on the head of my penis?"


Hello, I a male of age 20 and throughout my years as a child and a young teenager, I had quite a few Urinary Tract Infections. When I was a child, I just got through them by drinking lots of water and waiting for roughly 4 days till the pain just went away. Never saw a doctor about it. The last time however, I was in so much pain that I did not have the patience to wait for the pain to go away by itself so I went to my local walk in clinic. The doctor had to take a look at my penis and he prescribed me some antibiotics and I never had the infection since. Throughout the times I had the infection though, I've noticed a few black spots developing on the head of my penis. I had them for years and they've never bothered me however I would like to know if the spots came from the UTI and how to I get rid of them? Any creams or lotions that I can buy?


Although it is unlikely that the spots you have on the penis are related to the urinary tract infection, I would still recommend that you get them checked out by your doctor. Any new dark spots that develop on the skin anywhere should be examined by your doctor, because there is always a small risk that a new spot could represent a skin cancer, such as a melanoma. Your primary care doctor should be able to take a look at the spots and help you decide whether or not they are suspicious.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

If so, they may need a biopsy to rule out a skin cancer, although this will likely not be necessary. Also, I would recommend following up with your regular doctor about the other issue you mention in your question, namely the issue of frequent urinary tract infections. Healthy males do not typically get urinary tract infections like you are describing. In sexually active males, symptoms like those of a urinary tract infection are more commonly caused by sexually transmitted infections. However, since you say they go back to your childhood, an anatomical abnormality inside the urethra (the tube from which the urine exits) might be more likely. I would mention this history of yours to your regular primary care doctor to see if they think additional workup is needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.