ZocdocAnswersWhy does the palm of my hands wrinkle and hurt after a minute in the water?

Question

Why does the palm of my hands wrinkle and hurt after a minute in the water?

my hands burn after being in the water for a long time

Answer

After reading your question, I'm curious if the only symptom you have is burning of your hands, or if you also notice other things - such as redness, itching, or cracking of the skin of the palms? If you have any of the latter symptoms, then it could be eczema, which is a condition in which the skin becomes irritated and inflamed. Either way, it is important to see your primary care doctor for a diagnosis. Eczema is often triggered or at least worsened by exposure to water (as well as the soaps and chemicals that often go along with putting your hands into water). In part this occurs because the water (with or without soap) strips away the protective oils covering the surface of your skin, allowing the skin to become excessively dry. Again, I'd suggest going to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They should be able to take a quick look at your hands and make the diagnosis for you. If confirmed, then there are several effective treatments that your doctor might recommend. Obviously, limiting exposure to water (wearing gloves for example when having your hands in water) is one important step. Also, using a high quality hand moisturizer is very helpful. Finally, in some more severe cases, steroid creams are needed to calm the inflammation.