ZocdocAnswersI have had swelling in my feet for 3 days. Why?

Question

I have had swelling in my feet for 3 days. Why?

My feet have been swollen for 3 days and is starting to hurt when i walk my legs go numb and and have gotten tingly i cannot sleep although i am tired and was bit by something on my right leg dont know what but it went away but not the swelling in my feet

Answer

I strongly suggest that you get right in to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Swelling in the feet can be a symptom of a serious medical problem, and it definitely merits a full evaluation, especially given that it is ongoing for several days. In the most serious cases, swelling in the feet can be a sign of a problem with the heart or with the kidneys. Your doctor will be able to exclude these problems with a review of your past medical history, a physical examination and, in many cases, some basic laboratory tests. Another serious cause of swelling in the feet is a blood clot in the veins in the leg. This is more common when just one leg is swollen, although occasionally there can be swelling in both feet if there is a clot in both legs. This is also ruled out with a combination of basic blood tests and usually an ultrasound to look at the anatomy of the veins in the legs. The bug bite you mentioned sounds like it is probably not related, especially since it resolved prior to the onset of the leg swelling. However, I would definitely mention it to your doctor when they are taking your history.