ZocdocAnswersI had unprotected sex after Depo shot wore off. Can I be pregnant?

Question

I had unprotected sex after Depo shot wore off. Can I be pregnant?

My last shot was feb. 2013 and it wore off may 2013. I had unprotected sex June 10th. could i be pregnant?

Answer

The short answer to your question is yes, you could be pregnant. When the 3 month time limit on the shot is up, the chances of you ovulating (and thus being able to get pregnant) gets a lot higher. The chances are probably lower than if you hadn't received the shot at all. If you have already had a period since May, but prior to when you had intercourse, the chances of pregnancy are higher. If you have not had a period since May, or if you had a period since intercourse the chances of you being pregnant are lower. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OB/GYN, whoever you prefer to see about this type of question. Both of these types of doctors will have standard pregnancy tests in their offices to answer the question right away if you are pregnant. If you are pregnant, you will need referral to an OBGYN anyway. The other option for you is to buy one of the over the counter pregnancy tests in the grocery store. I usually tell people to use at least two to increase accuracy. If it is positive, then you should go to your doctor right away. If it is negative, you should still see your doctor, especially if you are looking to get another Depo Provera shot.