ZocdocAnswersWhat's a small bump on tip of penis?

Question

What's a small bump on tip of penis?

I am a male 15 years old, and i have a small red bump on my tip of my penis, it's doesn't hurt or anything. What can i do?

Answer

I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor - such as your pediatrician or adolescent medicine doctor - for help with this. A red bump on the penis could be caused by several different things, and it is important to have a doctor look at it so that they can help figure out the cause and whether or not it requires any treatment. If you have been or are currently sexually active, then obviously the most important consideration will be to determine whether or not this could be a sexually transmitted infection. There are several sexually transmitted infections that can cause bumps on the penis. Syphilis, for example, will often cause a red ulcer on the penis, which typically is not painful. Herpes, on the other hand, can also cause a red blister or ulcer, but it tends to be more painful than a syphilis ulcer. Some of the other sexually transmitted infections, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, are less likely to cause bumps or ulcers and more likely to cause burning or pain with urination, but these should still be ruled out. Your doctor will be able to determine if you need testing for sexually transmitted infections, which is usually just simple blood or urine tests. If these tests are positive, they will also be able to provide you with treatment.