ZocdocAnswersWhat are the risks of having something in my ear for 6 months?

Question

What are the risks of having something in my ear for 6 months?

What could happen if 6months ago a back to my earring fell in my ear and is possibly still there? it never hurt, now that I think bout it I've had alot of headaches and not sure but it feels soft in som areas of my head down to my neck also it feels sometimes as if my skin got tighter on the side it would be in all the way down to my foot. I have no money to pay for an answer

Answer

I am so sorry to hear that you have been suffering from these other problems such as the headache and the other concerns. If there is something in your ear, it needs to come out, but it may have already come out. Often, it will come out by itself, but it is important to speak to your doctor about your concerns. I would not advise you to try and remove it yourself, or to have a friend remove it. Q tips, especially, can be bad as they can push the foreign object up next to the ear drum where it can cause real damage and be quite painful. In general, however, the ear does a great job of caring for itself. It will usually covers things up with wax and help them to drain out, eventually. Sometimes, a few drops a week of sweet oil will help to soften the wax and help it drain out by itself. The symptoms of something in your ear that is causing problems include ear pain, decreased hearing, ear drainage, and other similar problems. If you are having any of these, please see a doctor immediately. Otherwise, I still advise you to speak with your doctor about your concerns so that you feel better soon.