ZocdocAnswersI just had my right tube removed for ectopic pregnancy, is it safe to keep trying?

Question

I just had my right tube removed for ectopic pregnancy, is it safe to keep trying?

im 37 and I just had my right tube removed for ectopic preg, is it safe to keep trying? What should I do?

Answer

I'm so sorry to hear that you just went through this stressful experience, but I am glad that you are recuperating and recovering safely. Ectopic pregnancies are a common complication of pregnancy, and they can have many causes. Sometimes they just occur due to "bad luck" but there are also a number of elements in the medical history that can put you at higher risk. For example, women who have had episodes of pelvic inflammatory disease in the past are at higher risk of having an ectopic pregnancy. Also women who have had one episode of an ectopic pregnancy are at much higher risk of a repeat ectopic pregnancy, around 15% compared to perhaps 2% in the overall population. Therefore, although it is not impossible to try again to become pregnant, you should know that you are at somewhat higher risk of a repeat ectopic pregnancy, and I would suggest seeking advise from your ob gyn doctor on how to proceed. They may want to watch you a bit more closely than they normally would as you attempt to conceive this time. They will also have specific recommendations on how long out from your surgery you should wait before trying again. Good luck!