Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have acne scarring, keloids and recurring cysts on my body. What is wrong?"

ZocdocAnswersI have acne scarring, keloids and recurring cysts on my body. What is wrong?


Hey there, i am an 17 year old male and i have the nastiest body i have ever seen. I have acne scarring all over my body. I have keloid like scarring all over my back, chest, butt, crotch, and scars on my legs. i also get reoccurring cysts on my armpits and by my crotch. sometimes it hurts so bad i cant even lift my arm or walk. im just tired of being stripped away from normal teenage experiences like swimming or having sex. i feel like a prisoner in my own body, and have severe depression because of this. do you have any idea as to what diseases i could have. i just want to look normal


I am so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your body. Being at that age can be an extremely trying time without having to feel self conscious about your body, but it is certainly worse when you have to deal with concerns about body image. This is quite a common problem to some degree for almost all of us. Let's see how we can help you. First, I would say that you should discuss this problem with your doctor. From what you describe, you will probably need more than just a normal family practice doctor, and your family doctor can help to direct you to the right person. A dermatologist may be a good place to start, as they can make recommendations to help you keep from developing further problems. Good skin hygiene can go a long way, but it is not all of the answer for everyone, and so you may eventually need help from a surgeon. A plastic surgeon may be able to help with some of the keloids or larger lesions, but generally surgeons prefer to be conservative first. Please speak to your doctor about your concerns and your depression, too.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.