ZocdocAnswersIs Hydroxycut okay for use?

Question

Is Hydroxycut okay for use?

Hi! I want to start taking hydroxycut to supplement my workouts. I workout 5-7 times a week doing core training, conditioning, running, cycling and sports. I took provera (pill form) in march and I wanted to know if there is any reason I shouldn't take hydroxycut? I wouldn't take more than the recommended dose.

Answer

This is a great question to discuss with your primary care doctor, who can better advise you based on your medical history. Hydroxycut is a herbal and dietary supplement that is marketed as helping with weight loss and improving muscle building and athletic performance. Over the last ten years or so, the formulation of Hydroxycut has changed several times. Notable, these changes to the formulation have occurred always in response to reports in the medical literature of serious medical side effects from use. One of the most serious side effects that has been linked to Hydroxycut is serious liver damage or failure. Although the newest formulation of Hydroxycut has been changed to try to minimize liver damage, there are still occasional reports suggesting a linkage. There have been other side effects reported as well, including disturbances to the heart rhythm. There is no clear evidence that Hydroxycut actually boosts athletic performance. Therefore, probably in most cases it is an expensive and not helpful supplement and in some people it may be harmful to health. At the very least, it would be important to discuss your plans to take Hydroxycut with your primary care doctor. They will be able to advise you as to whether it would be dangerous to take, based on any medical problems or medications that you may have or be taking. Please call your doctor for more advice.