ZocdocAnswersMemory loss & cognitive function loss - could Atenolol be the cause?

Question

Memory loss & cognitive function loss - could Atenolol be the cause?

My memory loss has been getting worse since i have been diagnosed with POTS. i have GERD/1ST DEGREE AV BLOCK/Gilberts Syndrome. i recently had a fdg18 pet/ct and they said it was normal but then they told me my memory is depressed and well below were it should be for my age "24".that was during a 6 hour neuro test.i take atenelol 6.25 in the morning and 12.25 at night and i take klonopin.15 3xaday.my questions is could atenelol be causing this even tho i have been on it for 7 months since i have developed POTS ? i was also wondering could a fdg pet/ct miss dementia or that type of disease ?i have had so many blood test and scans and nothing has come back bad as of today. they're saying it could be a combo of stress/anxiety & depression but i really dont feel thats the case. i have had b vitamins and all kind of things checked for why this might happen at my young age.can a pet/ct miss a dementia or something along those lines?could atenelol be causing these problems ?

Answer

It sounds like this has been a very challenging time for you, particularly with many new and unpleasant symptoms and undoubtedly many, many visits to a physician's office. However, with concerns over cognitive function or memory loss, the best thing for you to do is to continue to work with either your PCP or a neurology memory specialist to try and determine if there is anything amiss with your health, and if so what you can do about it. Beta-blockers such as atenolol typically do not cause memory loss or decline in cognitive function, although it is certainly possible that you might be having a reaction along these lines (or possibly as a result of one of your other medications). Certainly a trial off the drug is one way to tell, but at the same time you want to make sure that you are adequately treating your other medical concerns (i.e. you shouldn't adjust your medications at home without medical supervision). In addition, you may also benefit from formalized neuropsychiatric testing, in addition to the memory testing where you just scored a "24" (likely a so-called MoCA exam). Formalized neuropsychiatric testing can help better determine if you truly do have a memory concern or if your symptoms are more likely to be related to something else.