ZocdocAnswersHow long is it safe to take ibuprofen 3x a day?

Question

How long is it safe to take ibuprofen 3x a day?

I have some minor tooth problems, and they tend to keep me up all night unless i use some sort of advil or ibuprofen. Was wondering how long it was safe to keep using the medicine (three times a day), until my insurance kicks in and I am able to go to the dentist.

Answer

The first thing that I will say is that having a tooth ache is something that should not be ignored for a long time at all. Your tooth ache could be due to a cavity, but also could be an infection such as an abscess. For these reasons I think that you should schedule an appointment with a dentist right away. I hope the insurance issue gets solved quickly. Since you asked specifically about ibuprofen, I'll give you some information about this drug. Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID for short). We typically use it for pain, but it has other uses as well. The typical maximum dose for healthy adults is 800 mg three times per day as needed, but this can vary depending on a few factors. There are some significant side effects that should always be considered. If you have kidney disease, you should probably not take ibuprofen. If you have ever had a stomach ulcer, we usually recommend avoiding ibuprofen. Finally, if you have had a recent surgery, ibuprofen can cause bleeding. Ibuprofen should not be taken if you are taking certain other medications. For these reasons, I always recommend that you discuss taking an NSAID with your doctor prior to purchasing it over the counter.