ZocdocAnswersCan swollen glands make the base of the skull and upper neck ache?

Question

Can swollen glands make the base of the skull and upper neck ache?

For about two weeks now I have noticed knots at the base of my head. The area and my neck are swore and stiff. I am currently taking strong antibiotics for infected sweat glands. My doctor says that the glands are reacting to my scalp psoriasis.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about this problem that you are describing. Many things can cause your neck to be sore, and certainly if the glands are swollen enough and are reacting to an infection that they are trying to fight, they can become swollen. That is not the only reason that your neck could be sore, however, and so it is important to talk with your doctor to make sure that something else is not also contributing. For example, if you are under quite a bit of stress right now while you are being treated for your infection, this can cause you to stress and strain your muscles in different manners then you are used to. This extra tension can manifest itself as strains and knots in your muscles that can seem tender and swollen. These then can cause inflammation that makes the problem worse, and it starts a vicious cycle of swollen and tender muscles leading to neck and skull pain. There are other things as well, some of which could need immediate attention. The point is that if you have a persistent problem that is not improving with time and treatment, you should speak to your doctor. Again, please speak to your doctor.