Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Rash started on top of my head and spread to the rest of my body, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersRash started on top of my head and spread to the rest of my body, what should I do?


At first i had 2 small rash on top of my head, with in a week or two it slowly spreads all over my head (used Gentri-Sone Cream to control the rash) and it really helps but the cream ran out and the rash start to spread out . 3 weeks later it went down to the face and ears. 8 weeks it went down to my chest, back, groin, genital (all body parts). But not the palm of my hands or feet. I did went to see the doctor but the doctor does not recognize my problem. He prescript me Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg Capsule. Please any help will be really appreciated. Thank you.


I would definitely recommend going back to either your primary care doctor or your dermatologist, especially if the treatments are not working and if the rash continues to spread. It is hard to make much of the response of the rash to the Gentrisone cream, since this cream actually contains three separate medications - a steroid, an antibiotic, and an antifungal. So response to this cream just means that you have either an inflammatory rash (like eczema or psoriasis), or a fungal infection, or a bacterial infection of the skin. I gather that your doctor prescribed the doxycycline because they think this is a bacterial rash, like folliculitis, which is caused by infection of the hair follicles by various types of bacterial that normally live on the surface of the skin. Especially if the rash is not responding to doxycycline (which it should if this is a bacterial rash), then going back to your dermatologist for another opinion is the best option. In addition to the common things I mentioned, your doctor will also be able to consider whether the rash is from a contact reaction, a drug rash, or potentially something else, such as an infection transmitted through a tick bite. Please call your doctor today!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.