What type of shoulder surgical procedures are available?

My shoulder dislocates over 20 times a day and dislocates both anterior and posterior. I tried to stabilize my shoulder with physical therapy but that didn't work and may have made it worse actually. I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome so any surgeries with the ligaments are out of the question.
I am sorry to hear that you have had to deal with such a chronic problem and it is important to discuss your question with you doctor. Ehlers Danlos syndrome, as you know, is a collagen disorder that makes many of the different tissues of the body weaker than they would normally be. This is especially problematic in regards to several specific bodily functions, and some people will complain of joint laxity that will predispose them to conditions such as the one that you are describing. There are many types of surgical procedures that can help to keep you from dislocating your shoulder on such a regular basis, but it is important to understand exactly where your problem is and what you have tried in the past. The unfortunate thing about the should joint is that most procedures aim to achieve a balance between stability and movement. Given that the shoulder is such a complicated joint, it is often difficult to achieve this balance, and surgery may not be the best choice. If you have already met with an orthopedic surgeon in the past to discuss the options, there certainly may be value in seeking a second opinion. Please speak with your doctor about your question and determine what can be done. Good luck!

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Gerald Stashak
    Dr. Gerald Stashak MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    5305 Greenwood Ave
    West Palm Beach, FL 33407
  • Dr. Gary Lynn
    Dr. Gary Lynn MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    777 Knowles Dr
    Los Gatos, CA 95032
  • Dr. Joseph Tauro
    Dr. Joseph Tauro MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    9 Hospital Dr
    Toms River, NJ 08755