ZocdocAnswersFound a rubbery yellow/grey object in my 2 year old's stool, looks like a swollen raisin. What could it be?

Question

Found a rubbery yellow/grey object in my 2 year old's stool, looks like a swollen raisin. What could it be?

She has not eaten anything even slightly resembling this. Has no symptoms (no diarrhea, pain, etc.)

Answer

The good news is that your child appears to be well, without any evidence of abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, etc. It is hard to say what this object might be, so it is important to discuss this with your child’s pediatrician. The body digests food quite thoroughly, with a battery of acids and enzyme. So food objects, when they exit occasionally in the feces, may be very much different in appearance, color, and texture than when they were first eaten. So, in my view, it is possible for this to be a food object still that has just been rendered unrecognizable by your daughter's health digestive system! Another possibility is that this is a small non-food object that she swallowed. Small children often experiment with their environments by putting objects into their mouths, some of which they swallow. A small plastic or rubber object, such as a pencil eraser, might give this appearance upon exiting the body, to give just one example. I would recommend mentioning this to your pediatrician the next time you see them, and sooner if this keeps happening. In the meantime be on the look out for your daughter putting objects in her mouth, and call the medical help line right away if she develops any symptoms such as fussiness or abdominal pain.