ZocdocAnswersWhat are some reasons for missed period besides pregnancy?

Question

What are some reasons for missed period besides pregnancy?

i have missed my period two months in a row. I have taken multiple pregnancy test which were negative. my doctor check my hormone and thyroid level about 2 1/2 months ago and everything was balanced. what are some of the reasons someone would miss their period besides pregnancy? and could you still be pregnant and show negative results on a urine test?

Answer

There are multiple different reasons why someone might miss their period and the best thing to do is to continue to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Thyroid disease is definitely one of them, and it is good that your doctor went ahead and checked for that. Another reason, although rare in an otherwise healthy young woman (although I note it's not clear exactly how old you are!), would be failure of the ovaries to produce appropriate levels of the hormones that regulate the menstrual cycle. It sounds like your doctor also checked for that, although you don't actually specify which "hormones" were checked in the lab work. Other common causes of missed periods would be the use of contraceptive medications, especially the injected Depo-Provera shot, although this can also occur with irregular use of oral contraceptive medications. If you are using any of these medications, that might be an explanation. Finally, there is the polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is probably the most common cause of irregular periods. If the other workup has been negative, and the symptoms persist, then it would be worth going back to your primary care doctor or ob gyn doctor's office for a repeat evaluation. They can determine whether workup for this condition is warranted, which might include additional blood work or an ultrasound examination.