ZocdocAnswersWhy haven't I gotten my period?

Question

Why haven't I gotten my period?

I have irregular periods but its been 4 months without one already. It worries me. Back pain also, its nothing too bad but it bothers me. I also get a bit nauseous. I'm not pregnant ive taken a test a while back.

Answer

Although I agree that the pregnancy test you recently took does make pregnancy less likely, this is still at the top of my list of things to rule out in every woman of child-bearing age who is not using contraception. Sometimes the pregnancy urine tests that you buy in the pharmacy may rarely be negative, even when you are pregnant, especially if you use the test early in the pregnancy. Therefore, it would be a good idea to visit your primary care doctor, who can conduct a repeat pregnancy test either on a urine or a blood sample. Once pregnancy is ruled out, then it will be necessary to think more closely about your history of irregular periods, which sounds like it goes back quite a while, although going four months without a period seems unusual even for you. There are several different medical problems that can cause this history. Among the most common causes would be a problem with the thyroid gland and something called polycystic ovarian syndrome. Your doctor will probably want to conduct additional blood tests to investigate these possiblities, and they may also want to perform an ultrasound study of the uterus and ovaries. Please call your doctor today!