ZocdocAnswersBumps on the back of my tongue. What could it be?

Question

Bumps on the back of my tongue. What could it be?

A couple of days ago I noticed that I had medium sized white bumps on the back of my tongue. They don't hurt a lot, in fact they really are only an annoyance when I eat, where they cause mild discomfort. It's not thrush, as I have done some research on what it could be. The closest thing I can relate it to is lie bumps, but those occur in the middle of the tongue, not on the back. Is it something else I don't know about?

Answer

There are many different lesions that can appear on the tongue, or can be part of the normal anatomy of the tongue. It can always be difficult to differentiate these, even when you are seeing a doctor in person, but this is especially hard when you are attempting to get an answer over the Internet with only words to help with the description. That is why it is always best to speak to a doctor, who can better evaluate you. The most important questions that I would want to know have to do with how long the bumps have been there. If you just noticed them a couple of days ago, do you believe that they were there before and you just missed them? Has something else changed in your life, ie, do you have other symptoms or did you begin a new medication? If none of these things have changed and it is possible that you are just now noticing these bumps, there are larger bumps that are usually found on the back of the tongue that can be part of your normal self. As always, when you notice new bumps anywhere, it is best to speak to a doctor. Please speak to your doctor about this question.