My toe popped as I was walking, did it break?

I was walking out of the store and as I was walking my toe cracked/popped. Since then it has been painful, difficult to bend and stiff. I don't know whether to be seen and find some relief or try to do some home care being I do not know if it is injured or not. Thanks for the help.
As you know, joints may often pop or crack without any injury or pain, such as when you "crack your knuckles." This noise is caused just by air and fluid moving around rapidly in the joint cavity and it is no cause for alarm. However, if you have pain or swelling or trouble moving the joint, such as it sounds you might, then something more than benign joint popping must be going on and it is important to discuss it with your doctors">primary care doctor. I wonder if you may have "stubbed" your toe, or otherwise injured the ligaments around the joint - in other words, you may have a sprain. In the absence of a heavy impact or vigorous exercise, it seems unlikely that you would have broken the bones in the foot. It would be a good idea to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They will be able to take a look at the affected foot and confirm whether this is a sprain, or something else. Based on what they find, they will have some recommendations for treatment, which could include rest, elevating the foot to prevent or reduce swelling, ice, and over the counter anti inflammatory and pain medications. Please call your doctor's office for an appointment today!