ZocdocAnswersDoes a tick bite leave a mark?

Question

Does a tick bite leave a mark?

My kid is sick with lime diseaseor flu symptoms 2 weeks after camping

Answer

This is quite concerning, and I would ask you to please speak with your doctor about your concerns. In some parts of the US there have been an increase in the number of ticks that have been noted, and it is certainly possible that your child could have acquired an illness through this mode of transmission. There are, of course, many other possibilities, but the only way to really get to the bottom of it is to speak with your doctor. Classically, a target shaped spot on the skin in the area of the bite is noted. Unfortunately, this is not always described and cannot always be found, leaving the diagnosis up to more sophisticated methods in some instances. There are blood tests that are available if your doctor feels that they are necessary, and would help to be able to allay your fears about having been infected with Lyme disease or other illnesses that might have been acquired while camping. As always, the best thing to do is to speak with your son's doctor about what you are worried about, and take your son in for further examination if he or she feels that this is necessary.