What could be a post-surgical pain after an inguinal hernia repair?

I'm 42yrs, 6'0ft, 160lbs. I had inguinal hernia surgery about 10 weeks ago repaired with mesh. Everything was going fine, pain free until a couple of weeks ago. I was doing yard work & when I got finished I noticed I had developed some pain. I got concerned after a week when pain didn't get better. Saw surgeon to get checked, and he felt confidant that the pain would go away in a month or so. Wasn't sure what was wrong, but said I may have popped some internal stitches. Another week has gone by, still not better...not even a little. The more active I am the more pain I'm in. If I'm completely still or when I sleep I have no pain. As soon as I get up the pain starts again. What could have happened to cause this? I would think that I would've shown some kind of improvement by now. What are the chances this is something permeant that I'm going to have to deal with? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this persistent pain still with no relief. I would strongly recommend that you call your surgeon again and let them know that they pain is persistent still and is limiting your ability to function normally. I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this persistent pain still with no relief. I would strongly recommend that you call your surgeon again and let them know that they pain is persistent still and is limiting your ability to function normally. They will probably want to see you back again in the office, because they'll want to make sure that the hernia incision has healed well and that there is no evidence of recurrence of the hernia or of infection or fluid collection at the surgical site, since all of these conditions could cause the pain that you are experiencing. Occasionally, in the absence of any complication from the surgery, such as those I mention above, there can still be significant pain, from severing of small nerve endings during the surgery, that can take quite a while to get better. However, the first step would be for your surgeon to rule out a more serious complication. Then, if this is just a pain issue, they should be able to give you advice on what medications you can take to help relieve the symptoms. Please call and make an appointment today, and I hope that you are feeling better soon!