ZocdocAnswersI accidentally took medicine that expired about a year ago. Will I be ok?

Question

I accidentally took medicine that expired about a year ago. Will I be ok?

Im on alot of medicine for different problems and tonight i took my meds and then noticed they were the wrong ones, expired about a year ago the meds where: Amlodipine, lisinopril, and Hydralazine. Im not sure what to do, will i be ok?

Answer

Taking a single dose of these expired medications usually will not be immediately harmful to you, but it is important to discuss this with your primary care doctor for more advice. Generally, the main issue with expired medications is that they tend to be less effective than non-expired medications. Since these three medications are medications that you are taking for high blood pressure, it may be that your blood pressure will not be as well controlled when taking the expired medicines. The first step, obviously, is to throw away the old expired medications and start taking unexpired ones. If you don't have any refills on your medications, then you should call your primary care doctor right away to make sure that you don't go without being able to take your medications. Since these medications are for high blood pressure, it is also important to be on the lookout for these symptoms, especially if you don't have a supply of unexpired medications to take right now. Symptoms of high blood pressure that is uncontrolled might include headache, blurry vision, abdominal pain, chest pain, or palpitations. If you experience any of these symptoms you should call your doctor or go to an emergency room right away for further evaluation and treatment. Please call your doctor's office for more advice!