ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for Nexplanon to feel bumpy?

Question

Is it normal for Nexplanon to feel bumpy?

I received the Nexplanon implant two days ago. I am aware you should feel the implant in your arm when you touch that area. When I do so, the area around the implant feels a bit lumpy. Is this normal?

Answer

It is normal to feel the implanted device under the skin of your arm, as you said, but it is important to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Right after the device is implanted, there may be some localized swelling, which is just the body's reaction to the insertion procedure. This swelling may accentuate the bumpiness of the implant, but this should get better over a few days or weeks as your body becomes accustomed to the device. It would be worth touching base with the doctor who inserted the device, especially if the swelling persists, if there is any pain, or if any redness or discharge develops at the site of the insertion. These might be signs of an infection of the skin where the device was placed, which is a rare complication after the insertion procedure. Similarly, if you develop any fevers or other general concerning symptoms, let your doctor know. Although the Nexplanon device doesn't require much maintenance at all, your doctor will want to follow up with you from time to time to make sure that you are not experiencing any side effect from the device. Therefore, make sure to schedule a follow up appointment with them within the time frame that they have suggested to you.