ZocdocAnswersWhat is this lump on my right shin?

Question

What is this lump on my right shin?

There is a rather large bump on the left side of my shin of my right leg. I noticed it a few weeks ago. Now it seems to be bigger than it was before. It is a hard lump, it doesn't hurt, there is no discoloration, and no visible scars or injury that i can think of. Its seems like its a few inches in diameter as well. Can anyone explain to me what this could possibly be?

Answer

I'd recommend going to see your primary care doctor about this. The good news is that the lump is not red, painful, or swollen, so it is unlikely to be an infection. However, there are many different causes for these kinds of lumps, so you'll need for your doctor to take a look at it and tell you what he thinks. One possibility is that this is a healing injury. It is pretty common for us to "bang our shins" on things without paying much attention. This could result in a small area of swelling or scarring, even without much bruising or pain. Another possibility is that this is a cyst, which is a benign tumor growing under the skin. Most cysts do not need any specific treatment, although sometimes if they become very large or uncomfortable they can be surgically removed. Your doctor will be able to tell you what this is and they will also be able to make recommendations about whether or not it needs treatment. If it is a cyst and requires surgical removal, they will be able either to remove it themselves in a simple office procedure or refer you to someone who can.