ZocdocAnswersIs it a health issue to have semen leakage during bowel movements?

Question

Is it a health issue to have semen leakage during bowel movements?

i am 19 years old boy. i am having this problem,sometimes when i have bowel movements, semen flows out of my penis. i feel very depressed and terrified about this. i didn't had any wet dream in two or three months and i am not even masturbating. I get aroused alot and i don't ejaculate and also i have to go pee a lot of times. Is this a major health issue??please help...i am having depression cause of this please help

Answer

I recommend that you discuss this issue with your primary care doctor. When you defecate, feces move through the rectum and out of the body. The prostate gland, which surrounds the urethra before it exits through the tip of the penis, sits right next to the rectum. Therefore, it is conceivable that the pressure and straining from a bowel movement, especially if you are constipated, could press on the prostate. When this happens, the secretions in the prostate may exit out the tip of the penis and this could be what you are seeing. Although technically possible, this is still a fairly unusual symptom, imposing a more careful examination of the prostate for any evidence of inflammation or infection - which in some one your age could be caused by a sexually transmitted infection or other causes. The fact that you have some urinary symptoms as well, such as needing to urinate frequently, could also go along with this explanation. I would suggest going to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They'll be able to examine your prostate and genitals and determine if there is any issue that requires action. They can also help you decide whether you need to see a specialized doctor, such as an urologist. Good luck!