ZocdocAnswersWill I be able to lift heavy weights after an osteotomy to correct my arch?

Question

Will I be able to lift heavy weights after an osteotomy to correct my arch?

I'm 25, 6'1, 160 lbs. Surgery is being performed on left foot. Talocalcaneal excision, gastroc realse, medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, and a cotton osteotomy. I have experience with Olympic style weightlifting(never lifting more than 1.5x bodyweight), plyometrics(box jumps and long jumps), and calisthenics. I ran barefoot, after an extensive adaption process, for a length of time as an experiment to much success. I had no joint pain or shin splints and could run farther and for longer while barefoot. My right foot is also flat but with full mobility and has always been pain free. Will I be able to continue with heavy squatting after my surgery? Perhaps after a year?

Answer

This is a really difficult question to answer and the best thing to do would be to discuss it with your surgeon. It does sound like you are a very physically active person, and so I can understand that getting back to physical activity is important to you. At the same time, this is a major foot surgery, and the recovery period tends to be quite long. After a surgery like this, and a few days without weight bearing, it is typical for your surgeon to put you in boot or cast to protect the foot as it heals. Then, usually, there is a gradual program of home exercise or physical therapy. This process can easily take three to six months, depending on how you progress and whether or not there were any surgical complications. Only after completing this regimen would you be able to consider resuming more vigorous exercise. I suggest sitting down and talking with the surgeon who will be performing the surgery. Since they know your case best, they may be able to give you more specific expectations and timelines. Additionally, they will follow you closely after the surgery and will be able to help you through the process of returning to physical activity. Good luck! I hope this surgery is a great success for you.