Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my right hand hurt when I put pressure on certain places?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my right hand hurt when I put pressure on certain places?


I have a feeling i have RSI on the left of my hand, around the thumb. But now when i put pressure on either my thumb by bending it, or the area around the joints for my pinkie finger it hurts quite a lot, this started a few weeks ago after i punched a friend (for fun). Now i cannot even do press ups without it hurting, but i can arm wrestle.


It sounds like you may have injured your hand when you punched your friend. There are several concerns with this kind of closed fist injury. I recommend that you visit your primary care physician as it is always best to have traumas, even accidental ones, evaluated right away to protect your health for the future. If you did break the skin, it is possible that you could develop a dangerous infection because there are many organisms in the human mouth capable of causing serious infection. In addition, there are several characteristic fractures in the bones of the hand and wrist that may not be apparent immediately after injury but that can cause persistent pain and limitations with activity, as you are describing. The so-called boxer's fracture affects bones in the fingers, while a fracture of the scaphoid bone in the hand can also be quite debilitating (and can cause permanent damage if not allowed to heal with prolonged immobilization). In order to make sure you don't have an occult fracture or other injury of your hand, it is important for you to see your primary care physician right away. He or she will undoubtedly arrange for x-ray imaging of your hand, in addition to performing a physical exam. Depending upon the findings, you may need to see an orthopedic surgeon for more definitive management.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.