ZocdocAnswersCoughing blood in the morning after sinus infection. Should I be worried?

Question

Coughing blood in the morning after sinus infection. Should I be worried?

Hey, I am a 23 year old healthly male. Social smoker. I recently had a bad sinus infection which consisted with sinus congestion, post nasal drip, productive cough, green/yellow phelgm. After a few days of cold I woke up and coughed up blood. About 6 spits of streaky bloody phelgm, the globs looked pink from the small streaks of blood. After tge 6 spits the phelgm was clear for the rest of the day. Went to Dr., clear x-ray, clear lungs. After a week there is still blood in morning cough, way less only 1-2 spits with a streak or two of blood in it. Should I be worried or is this likely the after effects of the infection?

Answer

While it is difficult to say for sure without having met you, I am certainly reassured by the fact that you have already seen a doctor and have a clean xray and no evidence of lung pathology noted on physical examination. That being said, the best key to helping you to stay clear of further disease or problems is to follow up with your doctor as advised or if your symptoms persist beyond a reasonable period of time. It is certainly common for sinus infections to present with some blood in the mucous that is draining. Usually this will be small amounts and will be limited in the amount of time that it will continue. This seems to be the situation that you are describing, but it is difficult to tell for sure. An ear nose and throat surgeon, or otolaryngologist, may best be able to help you determine if you are suffering from the effects of a sinus infection or if you need further investigation. For some people, nasal irrigation with saline can help to clear the sinuses and reduce symptoms. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns to feel better as quickly as possible, and good luck.