Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My 3 year old son has had a swollen lymph node behind his ear for 5 months, what could be the cause?"

ZocdocAnswersMy 3 year old son has had a swollen lymph node behind his ear for 5 months, what could be the cause?


He is on his second round of antibiotics, which are not relieving any of his symptoms. He has headaches which started around the same time as the lymph nodes showed up. He recently started getting severe abdominal pain especially at night when he is lying down. I noticed another lymph nod in the same area last week. The dr order some blood work which came back fine. He also had a urinalysis which showed blood and protien in his urine, it also showed that he was dehydrated but retaining fluids.


I am so sorry to hear that your son is not doing well. It can be especially alarming and concerning when young children are ill, and it is very easy to feel sympathy and compassion for them. In this specific case, it sounds like you are taking appropriate steps to determine what the cause of the bump is. There could be many potential causes, but it sounds like you have thus far not had success. It may be time to seek the advice of a specialist, and in this case I would recommend an ear-nose and throat surgeon, or otolaryngologist. He or she will best know what recommendations to make and if there are further tests that need to be ordered. While it is reassuring that most of the tests have come back fine thus far, it is clearly not a normal thing for lymph nodes to persist for so long. In some cases, a biopsy of the bump may be necessary to determine the next step to be able to get him feeling better, especially since he is now starting to have some additional symptoms as well. Please speak with your doctor, and if you have further questions, please consider getting a second opinion.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.