ZocdocAnswersCan I exercise after a back adjustment?

Question

Can I exercise after a back adjustment?

I'm a little sore after my adjustment, can i exercise the same day or should I wait for the soreness to stop

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are feeling sore after an adjustment, and hope that the soreness resolves quickly. In general, the best idea is to call the office of the physician or health care professional who treated you earlier in the day and ask them. This is because of the wide range of procedures that can be done to help with back pain, and the many methods that can be used. Additionally, your own overall health and circumstances will play into this heavily, and your doctor or chiropractor will know these details and be able to advise you in the best way. In general, however, most sports therapists and exercise specialists will recommend not working through pain. The changes in technique and posture when a person tries to do this can set the person up for causing even worse problems and injuries. For that reason, in most cases it is appropriate to take it easy for a few days while you recover before getting back to your old routine. This is purely a generality, however, and I would again encourage you to speak with your health care professional before you resume any physical activity. Please speak to your doctor or chiropractor.