How long does it take to recover from wisdom teeth removal?

I plan on having two teeth removed in the next couple of days, how much time do I need off from work?
The specifics to this question can only be provided by your dental surgeon, because it depends a lot on how complicated the wisdom tooth extraction is expected to be. A minor extraction that goes quickly may result in only a day or two of swelling in the face, mild numbness, and pain before resolving. However, if the extraction is complication, these symptoms may be more pronounced or may last longer. At a minimum, most people who undergo the procedure usually take off a day or two from work. This allows for recovery time, and also permits taking stronger pain medications, if indicated, which might be sedating and impair performance at work. A clever strategy is to have the surgery on a Friday, so that you have the weekend to recover in preparation for work on Monday. I'd recommend talking to your dental surgeon before the procedure to see if they anticipate any potential complications or a longer recovery time. Make sure to do this well in advance of the procedure, so that you can plan accordingly at your work for the necessary time off. Good luck, and I hope that you recover quickly and are back to feeling normal very soon!

Other Dentists