Can TMJ cause headaches?

I get headaches just about every day, but I also noticed popping around my jaw. Can the two be related?
Yes, Temporo mandibular joint disorder syndrome (or TMJ syndrome) can be very problematic on multiple fronts, and is unfortunately quite common. There are a number of different symptoms that can occur due to the location of the involved joint and its innervation and the best thing to do is to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Clicking, popping, or other noises coming from the jaw can be one of the obvious signs of TMJ for some people. Pain associated with eating is another, as are headaches. This is because the ear, head, face, and jaw are all innervated by branches of some of the same nerves. As the brain tries to interpret the confusion and localize the area of pain, this is sometimes reflected onto different parts of the body and can result in vague symptoms, sometimes including a headache. Of course, there are other things that can cause a headache, and so it is very important that you discuss your symptoms with your doctor to make sure that this is the true problem, or source of your problems. If so, there are many things that can be done to improve your symptoms, such as a mouth guard or other therapies. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns, and hope you feel better soon.

Other Orthodontists