Is it normal to have swollen lymph nodes after dental surgery?

It's been two days since my surgery and I notice a couple of swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They are not painful, just a little sensitive. Is this a common side effect.
Lymph nodes can swell in response to the rest of the surrounding environment that they are in contact with in the body. In general, it is their job to help the body contain and fight infection and other problems such as cancer. They are very effective at this, especially in the head and neck. Although it is important to speak with your doctor for full evaluation, in your situation, it is quite possible that the local inflammation from having your teeth removed has caused the body to respond in a manner appropriate to defend itself from any possible bacteria that may be trying to enter through the open mucosa, or even just in response to the bleeding and inflammation. Regardless, it would certainly be normal in many cases to have some mild and tender swollen lymph nodes for a brief time right after having dental work done. This would be more prominent if you have a thin neck, for example, where you could feel these nodes more. It is important to speak with your surgeon, dentist, or doctor, however, because there are other things and conditions that can present as swollen lymph nodes and require more treatment and testing before you can feel confident that there is nothing more serious. Please speak to your doctor for full treatment.

• Dr. Evan Ransom
    Dr. Evan Ransom MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    450 Sutter Street
    San Francisco, CA 94108
  • Dr. Anand Devaiah
    Dr. Anand Devaiah MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    830 Harrison Ave
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. John Siddoway
    Dr. John Siddoway MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4650 Harrison Blvd
    Ogden, UT 84403