ZocdocAnswersDo I have to remove all my wisdom teeth at the same time?

Question

Do I have to remove all my wisdom teeth at the same time?

Four of my teeth need to be removed, but I don't want to deal with the pain all at once. Can I spread out the treatment? Maybe remove two teeth now, and then go back in a few months.

Answer

This is an important concern to discuss with your dentist or oral surgeon. While it is certainly a possibility that you could remove your teeth at different times, it is usually not how people choose to have it done. While removal of wisdom teeth can be painful in some circumstances, patients tend to tolerate the procedure quite well and will recover in a timely fashion. By spreading it out, it will mean that you will have to suffer on multiple occasions and will need time for full recovery on two separate occasions. For those and other reasons (such as cost and the need for repeated anesthesia), most patients ultimately choose to have all 4 removes simultaneously if it is needed. It is certainly possible that you could speak with your dentist or oral surgeon and come up with a plan to help you have the results that you wanted, however. Generally, he or she would provide their recommendations, but then leave the final solution up to you as to how you want to proceed (especially since the removal of wisdom teeth is most often an elective surgery rather than something that is done urgently). Please speak with your surgeon or dentist to determine the best plan for you and your wisdom teeth, and good luck.