ZocdocAnswersCan surgery repair my smile?

Question

Can surgery repair my smile?

Crooked teeth run in my family, plus I lost a tooth because of a sports injury years ago. I'm tired of hiding my smile. Help!

Answer

Surgery or other dental work can help your smile, which can, in turn, help you to feel more confident about yourself and your appearance. Many people find that they are embarrassed about their smile for one reason or another, in your case, perhaps a missing tooth. These people will feel much better about smiling in public, which can change their entire outlook on life with appropriate intervention. What exactly you need to help feel better will depend quite a bit on what your teeth are like now and what your long term goals are. That is why it is important to discuss this with your dentist or oral surgeon. There may need to be some work such as braces that may take some time to achieve the look that you want. In other cases, extractions may be needed. In the most extreme cases, surgery and even movement of the jaw or maxilla can be needed to help you to get to the level that you want to be at. Speaking with your dentist or oral surgeon is a great place to start the process. He or she will be able to discuss long term goals and expectations and come up with the right plan for you. Again, please speak with your dentist or oral surgeon.