Can people with mild eye allergies wear contact lenses?

In the summertime and springtime my eyes bother me so much, they itch and water. But I'm tired of wearing glasses and wonder if I can wear contact lenses with allergies?
This is a common question for ophthalmologists and optometrists by patients who have mild symptoms of allergies, but would like to be able to wear contact lenses. While there is not a "one size fits all" answer, there are usually options available for people who would like to avoid the visibility of constantly wearing glasses. Some of these options include the excellent and non-sedating anti-histamine medications that can control mild allergies for many people. Many of these medications are even available over the counter, such as the generic versions of cetirizine or loratadine. Other options are also available that can be more targeted to symptoms of the eyes, some of which do require prescriptions. In any case, however, the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor to find out which options are right for you. He or she will help you be able to achieve the results that you want. An eye doctor, ophthalmologist or optometrist will best be able to help you get the answer that you need. Please speak with your doctor about your question, and good luck!