ZocdocAnswersCan toddlers develop eye allergies?

Question

Can toddlers develop eye allergies?

I've suffered from eye allergies since a teenager, and I'm noticing that my daughter sometimes has a little mucous around her eyes. It's not a lot, but I'm wondering if this is from eye allergies or something else

Answer

Hard to say what could be causing this mucous around the corners of your daugther's eyes, but it is certainly a possibility that she could have some allergies that are causing her eyes to produce extra mucous which can help to protect them. This mucous is commonly used by the mucosal surfaces of our bodies, in the same way that we make extra nasal mucous when there are nasal irritants, and the same way that our throat makes extra mucous when we have acid reflux or have other issues that cause chronic irritation. But just because it's possible doesn't mean that it is the most likely reason that your daughter has the extra mucous around her eyes, and it is important to discuss this with your doctor. While the family history (meaning that you, her mother had allergies when younger) does increase her risk, there are many other factors that need to be understood to explain what you are seeing with your daughter. Her age, her history of allergies to other things, etc can all factor in to helping your doctor know what is causing this. Or it could be just that, at the age your daughter is at, her eyes are making a bit more mucous. Please speak to your doctor about your question.