Can I wear contact lenses beyond the recommended use?

I have 14 day contact lenses and I normally throw them away after two weeks. But I can still see through the lenses. Throwing them away seems like a waste. Can I wear them longer?
In general, the short is answer is no, though this is an important question to discuss with your doctor. The disposable, short term, lenses are made in a different way, usually a fashion that makes them more comfortable and often requiring different care. When you extend beyond the recommended amount of time that they can be used, you are putting your eyes at risk by using a medical product in a manner that it was not designed to be used in. While there are certainly examples of people who do this and are able to get away with it, they are taking a risk of consequences as serious as an eye infection that could end up with vision changes or making it difficult for you to wear contact lenses in the future. That is one of the reasons that annual eye exams are required to be able to get a prescription to wear contact lenses each year, as this helps to make sure that you are having regular follow up with a doctor to make sure that your eyes are safe. If you feel that you have different circumstances, the best answer would be for you to speak with your doctor. Again, please discuss it with your doctor.

Other Optometrists