ZocdocAnswersWhat is an effective diet for high blood pressure?

Question

What is an effective diet for high blood pressure?

Heart disease runs in my family and I really want to protect myself. What foods should I avoid and what should I eat?

Answer

Excellent work on your part to be pro-active about this problem and the best thing to do is to discuss this with your doctor. High blood pressure is known as a silent killer because the patients who have high blood pressure often don't even know that they have it, and the whole time it is placing strain on their heart that can lead to heart disease over time, not to mention the risk of other medical problems that are strained by high blood pressure. While there are many diets out there that can seem to be effective, the most effective diets are those that help you to achieve and maintain a healthy weight while limiting your intake of salt. One diet that has proven to be effective is the DASH diet, which is often recommended to people with high blood pressure and is high in fruits and vegetables and low in salt. There is quite a bit of information about this diet available on the internet, which is readily available. Other excellent resources include the American Heart Association website. Finally, as always, the best resource to answer this question is your own doctor. He or she will be able to help you best.